A History of Royal Fashion welcomes you on a 5-week journey into the wardrobes of British kings and queens. Your fashion history exploration will span across five royal dynasties from the Tudors, Stuarts and Georgians to the Victorians and Windsors.
- Week 1 – Step into the square shoes of the Tudors and see how their lavish clothes were designed to project power, wealth and control
- Week 2 – The Stuarts are centre stage to showcase how they dressed for leisure and influenced new trends through performance in an increasing time of conflict
- Week 3 – Explore the glamorous Georgians, their century of economic and social change, extreme fashions and an era marked by very public and very private monarchs
- Week 4 – Move into the reign of Queen Victoria, her own changing wardrobe and how technological advancements took fashion forwards
- Week 5 – Welcome to the 20th century where the Windsors balance royal fashion with diplomacy and expectations in an era of mass media and celebrity
This course is designed for those who have an interest in fashion history and/or the Royals. No prior knowledge is required; all learners are welcome.
By the end of the course you will receive an Ozone certification. This certification is evidence that you are able to…
- Assess the significance of fashion and clothing to individual and collective British royals
- Identify key fashion developments from the sixteenth century to the present day
- Reflect on how and why fashions have changed
- Explore the significance of different primary sources for understanding fashion history
- Develop an understanding of the history of British monarchs, their family and their reigns