Designed for healthcare professionals, this six-week course will inform you about – and empower you to provide – safe, high-quality antibiotic use. You’ll interact with colleagues globally, to understand what antibiotic resistance means – and why the World Economic Forum has placed it alongside terrorism and climate change on its global risk register.
- Antibiotic Resistance and its global impact
- The relationship between antibiotic resistance and prescribing
- What antimicrobial stewardship is and how it can be implemented in a hospital setting
- Why measurement is important in stewardship: how it can improve antibiotic prescribing
- How novel diagnostics can help in clinical decision making for antibiotic prescribing
- An understanding of the value of Behaviour Change Science to improve antibiotic prescribing
- Examples of successful antibiotic stewardship from across the globe
This course requires an active interest and prior experience in the prevention, diagnosis and management of infectious disease. This version is for learners who prefer to participate in English.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Assess the threat of antibiotic resistance in the learner’s location and to their practice
- Evaluate the effectiveness of using certain strategies/tools/interventions in antimicrobial stewardship to drive improvement in learner’s location and practice
- Understand the value of measurement in antimicrobial stewardship: how to calculate DDDs and use Point Prevalence Surveys, have begun to determine how to use these in their location and practice to drive improvements in antibiotic prescribing
- Assess the value of novel diagnostics to clinical decision making for optimal antibiotic prescribing
- Understand the value of Behaviour Change Science to successful antimicrobial stewardship: by assessing issues around culture and context learners will explore how you can apply this evidence in their own setting
- Examples of successful antimicrobial stewardship implementation from across the globe will be provided and learners encouraged to assess the value of these for their own location and practice