Learn English for use in everyday situations
This free online course will help you learn basic English skills. It will give you confidence in everyday situations and help you improve your listening skills.
Use your computer or smartphone to hear people talking in English in a number of different situations and test your understanding with quizzes.
You will have the chance to chat with other learners in English and to write short responses to some simple discussion questions.
After taking this course you can progress to Basic English: Pre-Intermediate.
What topics will you cover?
- Language to introduce yourself
- Describing how you are feeling
- Asking simple questions
- Talking about your friends and family, and describing their personalities
- Talking about work and jobs
- Saying what you do and don’t like
- Talking about your hobbies
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for refugees, displaced people and the communities. However, it will also be of interest to anyone looking to develop their skills in basic English.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) A1 to get the most from this course.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Identify language used in everyday situations, such as studying, communicating with classmates, and talking about work
- Develop confidence in key language items useful in a range of different scenarios
- Apply language skills for everyday conversations
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant language that can help the learner progress along the path to studying at a university