This CPD course will equip you with the information and skills to ensure that dental radiography is carried out in a safe manner and that the requirements of key radiation protection legislation are complied with. You’ll explore the potential hazards of dental X-radiation and the importance of restricting staff and patient radiation exposure as far as practicable.
You’ll also familiarise yourself with relevant radiation protection guidance and legislation, including the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017, the Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2017, as well as the UK guidance for users of dental X-ray equipment. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to apply the basic principles of practical radiation protection in a dental practice and be ready to act as Radiation Protection Supervisor in your dental practice.
- X-ray concepts and risks
- Regulatory requirements planning
- Practical protection from X-rays
- Regulatory requirements and management of working with X-rays
- Quality assurance
This CPD training course is designed for dental professionals who are involved in work with dental X-ray equipment. This includes dentists, hygienists, therapists, dental nurses and practice managers. Others working in the dental or general healthcare sectors may also find the course interesting, but will not have the same professional requirement to undertake verifiable CPD.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Explore the potential hazards associated with X-radiation and the importance of restricting the exposure of staff and patients as far as is reasonably practicable.
- Identify the principal requirements of relevant UK legislation and guidance, namely IRR17, IRMER17 and the Dental Guidance Notes, 2nd Edition.
- Apply the basic principles of practical radiation protection in a dental practice.
- The ability to take on the role of the Radiation Protection Supervisor in relation to X-radiography in a dental practice.