Increase your knowledge of English for academic study
If you are preparing to study at a university where the first language is English, this course aims to help you understand what is expected, develop skills to help you learn independently, and build your confidence.
You will have the opportunity to review the key vocabulary and concepts used in a university setting, and discover what tutors expect from students. You will also have the opportunity to practice skills to help you expand your vocabulary for an academic setting, including tools to help you pronounce new words.
- Key vocabulary and concepts for the UK university context
- Exploring the approach to teaching and learning in UK universities
- Developing dictionary skills
- Analysing word forms and word families
- Accessing and writing definitions
- Introduction to the phonemic chart and how to use it to support learning and pronunciation skills
This course is for any student who is planning to study at a university where English is the main language. It’s primarily for students whose first language is not English but will also be useful for students who are coming into higher education after a long period away from studying, or who are mature students looking for an opportunity to refresh their study skills. It will help to prepare students for both study on an online degree and at a university campus.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Interpret key academic terminology and explore its importance and relevance to successful UK university study.
- Identify key features and conventions of academic culture in the UK, both online and on campus.
- Apply the use of a dictionary to help you extend your academic vocabulary range.
- Record new words effectively.
- Identify the form of definitions, and produce your own.
- Produce the phonemic chart to help you pronounce new words.
- Ozone Certificate