Learn about the recent challenges faced by the European Union
The fascinating course is designed to inform the public about the principal challenges that have faced the European Union over recent years including Brexit, the Euro Crisis, Migration, the Rule of Law Crisis, and COVID-19, and to communicate how the EU has responded to these challenges.
Understand the major issues faced by the EU in recent years
You’ll gain an insight into some of the most significant events of recent years, including the first withdrawal of a member state (Brexit), as well as the threat to the single currency (Euro Crisis).
You’ll also discover the reasons behind the Rule of Law Crisis and how this threatens the EU’s fundamental values.
Explore the challenge free movement presents and decipher the future of Europe
Get to grips with the challenges that free movement, migration and differentiated governance present for the EU as a whole.
You’ll then also compare the EU crisis response across different policy areas and across time, and will assess future paths for the development of EU integration.
- Overview of major issues faced by the EU in recent years
- The first withdrawal of a member state (Brexit)
- The threat to the single currency (Euro Crisis)
- The challenge to the EU’s fundamental values (Rule of Law Crisis)
- The challenge to free movement (Migration)
- COVID-19, Differentiated Governance and the Future of Europe
This course is open to anyone who wishes to learn more about the European Union. It should be of particular interest to undergraduates, government workers, civil servants, teachers, and lawyers.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Explain the difference in perceptions of nature between hunter-gatherers and agriculturalists.
- Explore the different ‘bundles’ of access rights associated with natural resource ownership, as described by Ostrom.
- Discuss Boserup’s theory that greater population densities can lead to improved land management.
- Summarize a key environmental issue and produce a briefing note appropriate for decision making.
- Ozone certificate