This course will introduce you to the tools and techniques you need to write your first song. You’ll look at some of the fundamentals of song writing, building your knowledge as you progress.
By the time you’re done, you’ll have gone through the process of writing your own song, working with pitch, melody, chord progressions and more.
- Setting words to music
- Time and pitch
- Working with melody
- Chords and chord progressions
- Song forms
- Arranging your song
Whether you’re a complete novice who has never written a song in their life, a budding amateur looking to develop further skills or an accomplished professional brushing up on the basics, this course will deliver comprehensive practical and theoretical knowledge to help set you on your path.
While it will be useful to have access to a musical instrument this is not a requirement, you can participate in the course just using your voice or with freely available music software.
By the end of the course you will receive an Ozone certification. This certification is evidence that you are able to…
- Set words to rhythm using the concepts of metre and scansion.
- Identify the ingredients of an effective melody.
- Describe the different chord types and progressions used in popular songs.
- Explain the most commonly used song forms and structures.
- Explore how songs can develop when different lines and instruments are added to the accompaniment.#
- Combine these fundamental musical elements to come up with a song of your own.