In a world where young people are surrounded by an ever increasing range of media, visual analysis of children’s culture is becoming increasingly important. The course provides an introduction to popular types of visual culture for children and young people. By the end you will gain a deeper understanding of children’s film, television, drama, picturebooks and comics.
You will discover the wide variety of works on offer, learn to decipher these media, understand some of the ways in which they are conceived and consumed, and have a go at creating your own analysis.
- Children’s film
- Children on TV and stage
With a focus on visual analysis, new media and popular culture for children, this course is ideal for anyone with an interest in contemporary educational and cultural topics, parents and those feeling nostalgia for the texts and media of their own youth.
By the end of the course you will receive an Ozone certification. This certification is evidence that you are able to…
- Evaluate how images can be explored critically, drawing from visual analysis and childhood studies
- Interpret visual-verbal interplay in picturebooks
- Explain the imaginative work required by young readers/viewers to construct meaning
- Discuss the traditions of children’s visual culture and the plurality of ways in which childhood can be or has been represented
- Reflect on the place of images throughout a child’s development