Understand key programming concepts and apply them using Scratch.
This free online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to programming, designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers.
Over four weeks, we’ll introduce you to key programming concepts. You’ll have the chance to apply your understanding of them through projects, both unplugged and on a computer, using Scratch as the programming language. You’ll discover common mistakes and pitfalls, and develop strategies to fix them.
Introduction to Programming
Programming using Scratch
Teaching Programming in Primary Schools is designed for non-subject-specialist primary or K-5 teachers. You do not need any prior experience of programming to take part.
What software or tools do you need?
Learners need access to Scratch. Some aspects of the course use Scratch blocks that require the use of a keyboard.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Explain key programming concepts; algorithms, sequencing, repetition, variables and selection.
- Produce programs using the Scratch programming language.
- Reflect on your learning and create ideas for your classroom practise.
- Explore programming concepts through projects, both unplugged and digital.
- Apply a cross curricular approach to programming.