Learners of a new language face exciting challenges in developing their abilities to speak, listen, read and write and in learning about other cultures. Through short film, teachers can bring new worlds into the classroom and bring language learning alive.
Research has shown that short film has much to offer language teachers in helping learners develop their knowledge of language and cultural awareness. This online course will share ways of teaching languages through the medium of short film that will inspire and motivate both teacher and learner, and improve attainment significantly.
- Some key pedagogies and approaches to teaching languages using short film.
- Working with creative technologies in language learning.
- Assessing language learning using the different dimensions of film including sound, image and time.
- Film language and language learning.
- Film sound and languages, and how sound can be exploited for language learning.
- Teaching with film music and genre.
- Film dialogue and language learning.
- The film image and language learning – how the varying dimensions of the film image can be used in language teaching and learning.
- Exploring body language, facial expression and the image in film, for use in the languages classroom.
- Film time and languages – flashbacks, backstory and the past tense. Present tense, narrating and ellipsis. Flash Forward, prediction and future tense.
The core target audience is language educators, in any setting, who want to develop their professional expertise in film-rich approaches to teaching. The examples of practice will be drawn from the UK, though the short films we use come from all over the world. There is an inbuilt default in the work we’re drawing on towards French and Spanish language learning, though we will take care to generalise away from specific languages wherever possible. Prospective learners need nothing more than a curiosity about film, the world, and about how people learn languages.
By the end of the course you will receive an Ozone certification. This certification is evidence that you are able to…
- Discuss the principles behind working with short film in language teaching
- Ability to design effective teaching strategies for working with film in language teaching
- Develop an understanding of what the language of film, especially short film, offers in support of language teaching