Explore what it takes to become a teacher – and the skills you need to get there
This course aims to develop your understanding of the teaching sector and identify and improve upon the skills you need to become a great teacher.
Demystify the teacher training process
The number of routes into teaching and the variety of choice can sometimes seem bewildering.
Whether you’re interested in primary, secondary, or specialist teaching, this course aims to help you familiarise yourself with how the teacher training process works so that you should feel confident in choosing the right path for you.
You’ll explore the practical considerations of becoming a teacher, and consider how to make personal choices about your teaching future – from deciding which age group to teach to discovering what teacher training funding is available.
Learn how to choose a PGCE course that works for you
As well as receiving tips and advice from teaching professionals about how to get into teaching, you’ll have the opportunity to learn what to look out for when choosing a PGCE.
With guidance from teacher training experts at Coventry University, you’ll have the chance to compare different PGCE study route options and identify the PGCE route which aligns best with your teaching career aspirations.
Upon successful completion of the course, you should feel empowered to take your first steps towards a career in teaching.
- Dispelling some common myths around teaching
- Teaching in primary, secondary and specialist settings
- Routes into teaching
- PGCE teacher training explained
- Your career path as a teacher
This course is designed for anyone interested in becoming a teacher. The course is suitable for those who’ve always known they want to teach, those studying teaching now, those about to start an undergraduate degree, and those who’ve decided to switch to teaching from another profession. Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Develop your understanding of teacher training and the sector
- Improve your confidence that you have the skills required to become a great teacher
- Compare the different study routes available for PGCE study
- Assess which PGCE routes align most closely with your aspirations and intended career path as a teacher